I'm Taking Up Smoking!

In case you haven't heard, there's a new fad out there that is taking the world by storm... at least the teen and pre-teen world. Normally I'm not big on youth trends, but for this one I may make an exception. The latest craze is...? Smoking Smarties. Or if you're Canadian (as I am), smoking Rockets.

I'm not kidding, this is what the 8-15 year olds of America are really into. And as usual the media and school administrations are wayyy overreacting. Dire health warnings range from the ridiculous (smoking Smarties can give you respiratory infections) to the bizarre (maggots may nest in your nose)! And me, I'm just amazed at how the kids look to be the more mature ones in this discussion.

In fact, this pop culture phenomenon is one of the least unhealthy activities that kids could indulge in these days. "Smoking" candy is basically just crushing it up in the wrapper, sucking a bit of the sugary powder into your mouth (think Pixie Sticks), and letting the resulting cloud of dust exhale in little puffs of "smoke". No one is inhaling anything, and they're probably ingesting less sugar than if they were just eating the darn thing. Plus, as one kid points out, "it still tastes just like your eating candy."

Come on girls, all the taste with half the calories. I don't know about you, but I think I just might jump on the bandwagon.

Comments

  1. Too funny... I can remember the Popeye (sp?) candy cigarette sticks they used to sell and playing with matches the one time... I don't remember there being any smoke blowing involved, just a partly burned candy stick that tasted like marshmellows and made us feel like adults as we pretended to smoke cigarettes... yikes... Scares me to think of what fads my girls will want to emulate to feel like "an adult"!? Sounds so out of character for me looking back... more like something my brother would do! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a name at the bottom of your comment if using the no-login option - I like to know who I'm addressing! Thanks. :)

Popular posts from this blog

By Request

The Fruit Of My Labour

"I Believe I Can Fly"