Bibliophilia

Since I last wrote about my need for some books worth reading, I have discovered two classic authors that I had forgotten about, and whose works I had neglected to try.

One is George Eliot, a nineteenth century, liberal, female author, whose novel Middlemarch is now as much beloved to me as Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. I came across the BBC miniseries adaptation at the library, and enjoyed it thoroughly - now I can't wait to read the book.

The other is Henry Fielding. His infamous character, Tom Jones, surprised my expectations. Having been loosely acquainted with various film and television adaptations of this particular novel, I had not held any desire to acquaint myself in any more depth with the original, until I recently picked up the book on a whim. Fielding's characters evoke much more sympathy and much less contempt than the trite film adaptations I had seen, and his keen sense of morality and justice come through brilliantly.

When I'm done both of these (which will be very shortly), I look forward to reading more from these excellent authors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

By Request

The Fruit Of My Labour

"I Believe I Can Fly"