Recipe: Vegetarian Meatloaf

Okay, if you're not vegetarian you might be turned off by the title right about now, but trust me - this is a dish my meat loving husband liked a lot. I thought about calling it "I Can't Believe It's Not Meatloaf," but that would be inaccurate. This recipe is not trying to be meat, it's obviously not meat, but serve this with mashed potatoes and a veggie and no one will miss the meat.

The recipe came about as an inventive way to use up items in my pantry that weren't being used, in response to another blogger's recent challenge to spend less on groceries by using up what we already have. The fact that it was not only edible but delicious was largely a fluke.

Vegetarian Meatloaf

1/2 cup pot barley
1 can beans in tomato sauce
2/3 cup large flake oats
1/4 cup grated parmesan
1 egg
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp onion salt (or onion powder + salt)
1/4 cup ketchup

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
Fill a small pot halfway with salted water, add barley and bring to a boil. Boil gently for 5 mins, then drain. In a small mixing bowl combine barley with all remaining ingredients except ketchup and mix well. Turn into loaf pan and spread evenly to sides. Top with ketchup, making sure it covers all of meatloaf mixture, and bake for 30 minutes. Let sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.

Serves 4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit Of My Labour

"I Believe I Can Fly"

By Request