Learning To Let Go

The last several months have found me losing patience and developing a growing need for control - over my children, my husband, our finances, my weight... it seems like the harder I try to control things, the more out of control I feel. Which makes me wonder, if everything was much more manageable before this crazy cycle, why did I start going down this path?

Don't get me wrong, taking charge of our nutrition is a good thing. Organizing our lives really does improve how smoothly our home life runs. And getting a grip on our finances is a step towards responsibility and good stewardship. But obsessing about things I can't control is detrimental to my health and our happiness. The global economy, the weather and the clock are all out of my control, but not out of God's control. My husband and toddler are autonomous people who make their own decisions - I can only influence them, not control them.

So, this week, I'm learning to let go. Starting yesterday morning, I resolved to let my kids be kids, let the weather and the economy be what they are without my concern, and let my husband go through the day without my micromanagement. I did not get worked up about the slow traffic on the way to my morning appointment with the chiropractor. I did not obsess about food a million times a day. I did not get worked up about a bunch of housework needing to be done before my sister-in-law came over. I took lots of time to play with my kids and be outside. I drank water. I made fresh juice. I spent some time in prayer and meditation. And to my surprise, my house got cleaned, my laundry got done, my kids actually slept for 2 1/2 hours, and I felt well rested.

By letting go of my irritations and burdens for one day to focus on being content and close to my family and God, I found peace and productivity resulted. Now, I am sure that intellectually I knew this already, so why haven't I been living this way lately? Maybe one bad mood, indulged for too long, turned into a bad habit. If that's the case, here's to setting new habits! I think I'd better go watch Pollyanna (starring Hayley Mills). It's time to start being glad.

Comments

  1. Hi Sarah!

    Great post! I am a bit of a control freak myself. I enjoyed reading your honesty in this post.

    Not sure when George and I are going to be able to travel to the area anytime soon. He's in Petawawa for the summer. Perhaps at the end of the summer!

    Take care!
    Sharon A

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a name at the bottom of your comment if using the no-login option - I like to know who I'm addressing! Thanks. :)

Popular posts from this blog

By Request

The Fruit Of My Labour

"I Believe I Can Fly"