Recipes: Moist & Chewy Low-Fat Brownies

I snitched the basic recipe for these from Janet & Greta Podleski's Crazy Plates cookbook, and modified it to suit my own tastes. You don't have to tell everyone that the secret ingredient is baby-food prunes! If you like moist and delicious desserts but need to cut down on your fat, I recommend you buy Crazy Plates.

Moist & Chewy Low-Fat Brownies

1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 pkg. (3.5 oz) instant chocolate pudding mix
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 c. sugar
3 tbsp. butter, softened
1 egg + 1 egg white
1/2 jar (about 1/4 c.) baby food prunes
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 c. chocolate chips or chopped chocolate

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8" square baking pan and set aside. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, pudding mix, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat together sugar, butter, egg and egg white on medium speed. Add prunes and vanilla, beat again. Add flour mixture, and beat until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan, using a small spoon to get it all the way into the sides and corners. Bake for 30-35 mins until dry to touch and somewhat puffy. Set pan on wire rack and let brownies cool before cutting.

The recipe makes 12-16 pieces, but you'll want to make 2 batches, one for yourself and one for everyone else!

Comments

  1. From Sharon:
    They were delicious! But I agree, don't tell anyone there are baby prunes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please leave a name at the bottom of your comment if using the no-login option - I like to know who I'm addressing! Thanks. :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Fruit Of My Labour

"I Believe I Can Fly"

By Request